A few years ago we were in the era where many developers did not know what to use, Angular or React, since these were the most popular and more complete in the frontend environment, but in the year 2018 we saw a new member called Vue.js. This new member is a mix between Angular and React, and because of this it has taken a lot of power in the current market by it’s speed and sturdiness. That’s why Vue.js is amazing and we can see it in the top 3 places of the best frameworks/libraries for the frontend development.
In this blog, let’s explain a little bit about each one of them, so we can know important aspects and which one is better for our projects.
React is one of the most popular libraries of the moment and every time more developments use it. Also React was created and maintained by Facebook and more communities support it. This library is focus in the creation of user interfaces. For this, React has many modules and components that already have many integrated functions that helps the development of the application in and easy way and faster.
Vue.js is another framework/library, this was created by a former Google employee. This framework it’s becoming popular even when it does not have the support of a big company, its stable version was release in 2018. This framework is progressive, its functionality is to build user interfaces, every day Vue.js is growing thanks to new versions and communities, and all the advantages that it has.
Vue.js has plugins like Vue-Router which manage all our project routes, it also contains plugins to connect to external services such as Vue-axios or Vue-Fire. We also have Vuex that is inspired a bit in Redux, this is a very important part since it helps us to manage our project’s data.
The History between React, Angular and Vue.js and some differences among them
Before using an open source framework we must verify the licenses, these three frameworks/libraries use the same license called MIT, which provides limited restrictions for reuse, we must know very well the restrictions that these licenses have before using any framework or software.I have attached the link so you can know more about this MIT license: MIT License.
This three frameworks/libraries has many documentation, also they have big communities in which they provide many benefits as new functions and also repair or report errors that are found. Next we can see the statistics of the repositories of these frameworks/libraries
The components are an important part of these frameworks. The components receive inputs and change the behavior within it. These changes are always seen in the user interface somewhere on the page. By using these it facilitates the reuse of code and this makes the development more efficient. Now let’s explain how it works in each of these frameworks.
- React: This framework combines the user interface and the behavior of the components
- Vue.js: In this framework, the user interface and behavior is also part of the components, which makes things more intuitive. Vue is also highly customization, this allows us to combine the user interface and the behavior of the components with a script. You can also use preprocessors instead of CSS, and Vue is great at integrating other libraries, such as Bootstrap.
We always ask ourselves how difficult it is to learn in each of these frameworks / libraries, for that we will know how long it takes for us to learn a little about these Frameworks / libraries.
- Angular: Angular has a rather complex learning curve, since to master Angular we must know concepts such as TypeScript and MVC, so Angular takes time to learn it.
- React: On the main page of React, this offers a guide to configure it that can last approximately one hour. The documentation is exhaustive and very complete; These guides contain how to solve common errors and other features that require third-party libraries. This means that React does not have a big learning curve.
- Vue: As we mentioned before, Vue provides a greater capacity for personalization, therefore it makes it easier to learn than previous Frameworks. But simplicity and flexibility can be a double-edged sword, since it makes debugging difficult and allows poor code.
To install Angular do the following:
- git clone https://github.com/angular/quickstart.git quickstart
- cd quickstart
- npm install
- npm start
To install the Angular CLI (Command Line Interface) use the command below:
- npm install -g @angular/cli
React can be installed using the NPM command below:
- npm install react –save
To install the React CLI, you can use the Create-React-App as seen below:
- npm install -g create-react-app
Vue can be installed using the NPM command below:
- npm install vue
The Vue CLI can be installed with the command below:
- npm install -g @vue/cli
¿Which one will be the winner between Angular, React and Vue?
Now that we know a little more about the history of these three Frameworks / libraries and all their characteristics that makes them be among the top three of the best Frameworks / libraries for Frontend.
Angular is the oldest of the frameworks, it also contains many and big contributors and is a complete package, but its learning curve is quite complex. This framework is a good option for companies with large teams that use TypeScript.
React already has several years in the market and also has a large number of libraries, this makes it gain acceptance quite quickly. React has a large labor market and its future looks bright.
Vue is one of the new competitors in the arena of the Frameworks world and without the backing of an important company, it has performed very well, fighting against its opponents, Angular and React, that has big companies under. Vue, given its simplicity and flexibility, makes it a quite easy to learn framework and that its development is quite effective.